Which version of FreeBSD is it?

Bas v.d. Wiel bas at kompasmedia.nl
Wed Mar 17 17:04:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:36:38 +0100, Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki at ceti.pl> wrote:
> Антон Клесс wrote:
>> That is what I suspected for.
>>
>> What is the most safe way to upgrade it, remembering that this is
>> production
>> server and I have to keep it working properly?
>>
>> 6.2-RC1 -> 6.2 RELEASE -> 7.2 RELEASE -> 8.0 RELEASE, or somehow in this
>> style?
>>
> If it works, do not fix it!

I beg to differ: having a release candidate running in production should
never happen so this situation has been sort of broken from the start.
Luckily FreeBSD is a rock solid OS!

> Actually, I'm facing exactly the same problem now: I want to upgrade
> 6.2-RELEASE to something (8.0?) newer.
>
> Since I don't have spare machine for tests, I'm playing now with
> VirtualBox (hosted on Linux). I'd like to test upgrade using
> cvsup/buildworld. After I will success on virtualbox I'll perform the
> same path on real machine.

Making an image backup of the machine's disk before you start should give
you a decent rollback scenario in case things go badly.

Bas