kernel panic when if_lagg is not loaded.

Leslie Jensen leslie at eskk.nu
Wed Mar 17 08:57:24 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-17 09:36, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> Leslie Jensen wrote:
>>
>> I have set upp aggregation of my wlan and and wired NIC following the
>> instructions in the handbook.
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-aggregation.html
>>
>> I "forgot" to add the if_lagg_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf. When I
>> rebooted I got a kernel panic.
>>
>> Should this be considerd normal or is it something I should report?
>>

> No, it's not normal. Please, report it in an explicit way, commands
> given and/or changes to rc.conf, loader.conf etc. Try first here
> questions@ and then net at .
>
> Nonetheless I see no such behavior on my system. if_lagg loads
> automatically when needed(ifconfig lagg create etc).
>

>> Secondly I see there'a a reference to the lagg(4) man page. I think it
>> would help future readers of the above page if a comment about loading
>> if_lagg_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf would be added.
>

> On 8.0-STABLE if_lagg loads automatically and I think it always
> did load automatically, though I am not sure. What's the FreeBSD
> version you are working on?
>
> Nikos

I'm on a 8.0-RELEASE-p2 system.

Actually after more testing I found out that the line

ifconfig_iwn0="ether 00:16:ea:61:01:e8"

in my rc.conf is the culprit. If I comment it out the system will start
but only with the wired interface working.

I have if_lagg_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf

and the following in /etc/rc.conf

wpa_supplicant_enable="YES"
ifconfig_em0="up"
# ifconfig_iwn0="ether 00:16:ea:61:01:e8"
wlans_iwn0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport em0 laggport wlan0 DHCP"

/Leslie