Patching a Newly-Built System

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 22:53:18 UTC 2010

> Does it make any difference if one adds packages to a new system
> before or after using cvsup to bring the patch level up to date?

By "bringing the patch level up to date" I assume you mean a tag such
as this one:

  *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8_0

in your standard-supfile file, and then doing the "make buildworld"
etc. prodedure outlined in the Handbook.

The release branches (such as RELENG_8_0) get only very minor
modifications from the time the release is made.  The patches are only
ones that address really serious issues, and the extent of the changes
is usually very minimal.  Whather you install ports before or after
you update to the latest patch for your release should make absolutely
no difference.