Severe instabilities and system lockups

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Fri Mar 12 03:10:05 UTC 2010

David Jackson wrote:
>> I am still having severe problems with severe system instabilities
>> with FreeBSD and have had these problrms in 7.1 and 8.0. The system
>> randomly locks up, it appears applications lock up when they access
>> the USb disk. Also, when accessing the USB disk, the entire system
>> lockup often for minutes. Performance with accessing USB disks is
>> horrendous,. it took 7 hours to copy a directory that was 200 MB. Any
>> program that accesses the USB disk tend to freeze for minutes, and
>> often the entire system becomes unresponsive for minutes. Overall
>> FreeBSD here is characterized by severe instabilities, ive had better
>> performance from Windows 98 systems. The fact that the entire system
>> freezes up, this should not happen, a well designed system will not
>> lock up the entire OS when accessing disk.
>>
>> Are there any diagnostic tools uch as getting a log of tranmissions on
>> USB and probe it, ,or finmd out what code it is lockilng up on ?Has
>> anyone else seen these problems with USB disks?
> Thank you for the reply to my concerns. I have been reading through them
> carefully.
>
> I seem to have also discovered that the lockup problems are not entirely
> due to USB issues. Many of them were being caused by an apparent problem
> with the swap system. I have two swaps, a file backed swap and a
> partition swap on the same disk. Apparently when having two swaps on the
> disk there are severe performance problems. FreeBSD needs to fix
> whatever is causing this thrashing problem. So far the lockups have seem
> to become much less severe since i have disabled the file based swap
> file. I may disable the partition swap but i do not know if it is
> possible to have the system boot with a file based swap only. Perhaps i
> can disable the partition swap after it boots.
>
> I am trying to copy a directory on the USB drive however and it does
> seem to be rather slow still. It started at 5:45 and is still going. I
> will see how long it takes.
>

> Again thanks for the help with these issues

I dont think its a good idea to have two swaps on any HD.
If you used the default setup under sysinstall for FreeBSD it gives how
the setup should look.

Is the USB a current 2.0? I cant ever recall having the problems you are
describing on a FreeBSD box ever.

Maybe you have funky hardware configuration.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >