"tao" suddenly died

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Mar 10 19:01:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:04:26PM -0600, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>
> >        Aloha Al and thanks for responding.  {god this has been a
> >        long day... .  ............}
> >
> >        Well, long-story-short, the most unepect thing happened: a
> >        power surge.  I did not realize that my printer was also off
> >        until hours later.  A friend helped me trace the problem and
> >        reset my surgge-protector.  ---It is worth noting that BEFORE
> >        I got my battery [UPS], when things were dead or suddenly
> >        went dead, i  knew right away to check the surge-protector.
> >
> >        nutshell: things are almost back.  it'll be only an hour
> >        before everything is back.
> >
> >        still, this is a warning to get back on the ball and start
> >        looking for a new desktop.
> >
> >        i would be much obliged for ideas on what kind of dell to buy
> >        next.  i say 'dell' because i would like to make life simple
> >        and eventually have one kind of box.  (i have three tower
> >        computers: one is my DNS/mail/web server; one is my pfSense
> >        firewall; one is my laptop.  i COULD use the server as a
> >        desktop, but that would be too much of a risk!
> >
> >        so:: should i be looking for a dual or quad?  ----i am biased
> >        toward intel because i think the AMD requires more juice.  [[my
> >        only linux server --long dead-- seemed to suck 100w to 107w as
> >        a minimum.]]
> >
> >        suggestions?
> >

> I don't really think much of Dell consumer level products or support.  While
> they aren't the worst out there, it still doesn't make it very compelling
> for me.  Depending on your resources(money) you might consider something
> like this:

	WEll, frankly, _cost_ is less of an issue considering all
	the grief, &c.  i think I've built [custom ordred] more
	and better systems than the Dells and HPs.

> http://www.ixsystems.com/apollo

	I'll look this up when I am using a GUI mailer.

> While more money than you'd probably spend with dell, here's a couple
> reasons to consider it further.
>
> 1.  Out the Box compatibility
> 2.  Great hardware support/warranty service
> 3.  Vendor backing of your OS
> 4.  Long term upgradability, this will serve you better than any emachine.
> 5.  ixsystems is a large supporter of FreeBSD
>
> I believe the TCO of something like that is lower than most alternatives.
>
> One further thought is I don't see a lot sense in the requirement "must be a
> dell, cause the other ones I have are dell" given the amount of machines you
> run.  To me, it would make more sense to standardize on something like cpu,
> so that you could run one as a build system/package repository.  I know that
> settling on one vendor generally means you only need one source for warranty
> work, but with stickers on cases and online accounts this isn't such an
> issue anymore.

	I would like to establish a history with one vendor, so
	your feedback makes sense.

	What I haven't decided on yet in whether to go with a
	dual-core or quad-.  mY current desktop is a 2.4GHz and
	has always seemed slow when I've running more than five
	tasks.  Strange.  The new dual-core server is like
	greased lightening ... and extremely lightly loaded.

	gary