[OT] ssh security

Liontaur liontaur at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 00:38:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:48 AM, Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
> wrote:

> > What happened to Diffie-Hellman?  Last I heard, its whole point was
> > to enable secure communication, protected from both eavesdropping
> > and MIM attacks, between systems having no prior trust relationship
> > (e.g. any sort of pre-shared secret).  What stops the server and
> > client from establishing a Diffie-Hellman session and using it to
> > perform the key exchange?
>
> I am not expert in cryptography, but logic tends to tell me that is I
> have no prior knowledge about the person I am about to talk to,
> anybody (MIM) could pretend to be that person.
>
> The pre-shared information need not to be secret (key fingerprints are
> not secret), but there is need for pre-shared trusted information.

But to some extent, we setup and configure these machines ourselves. So when
we're adding users could we not have an additional field with something like
a phrase/answer or something else like that? Obviously it could be
completely optional but it would be kind of neat and probably not too
difficult to implement.

Mark