warning: network_biopair_interop: error reading 5 bytes from the network: Connection reset by peer

Noel Jones noeldude at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 18:36:33 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Jerry <gesbbb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since updating to FreeBSD 7.3-PRERELEASE, I am having problems with my
> mail server. I have Postfix (2.7-20100117) installed. When sending, this
> warning message appears in the mail log:
>
> warning: network_biopair_interop: error reading 5 bytes from the
> network: Connection reset by peer
>
> When I posted this on the Postfix forum, Wietse Venema, the author of
> Postfix, replied:
>
> Connection reset by peer (or error code ECONNRESET) means that the
> other party hung up.
>
> This never happened prior to updating FreeBSD to FreeBSD
> 7.3-PRERELEASE. Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution?
>
> --
> Jerry
> gesbbb at yahoo.com

Maybe you didn't have TLS enabled before?

Anyway, this message caused by the other end disconnecting abruptly.
If you just get it once in a while, it can be safely ignored.  If you
get it on every connection, your TLS is broken.  If you get it fairly
consistently with some specific client, maybe that client has a busted
TLS implementation.

  -- Noel Jones