HTML5 under FreeBSD Desktop

ltsampros ltsampros at upnet.gr
Mon Mar 8 13:17:56 UTC 2010

Alexander Best <alexbestms at wwu.de> writes:

> recent chromium builds on http://chromium.jaggeri.com/ and
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium-freebsd8/ support html5. don't know if the
> firefox and opera ports support html5 yet.

If you use the latest version of firefox , check this link:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/video/?video=personas

It played flawless on my system and I don't remember me having
configured some option/port knob to enable the functionality.

However, there is an ongoing battle regarding which codecs would be
supported. Google/Apple support h264 while Mozilla/Opera prefer/advocate
the Ogg theora one. I think this is a pretty thin picture of the
situation but I guess you can google it around.

So, don't expect all html5/video sites to work.