freebsd install from floppy

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Sun Mar 7 21:59:11 UTC 2010

At 1:28 PM -0500 3/6/10, Chuck Swiger wrote:

>While I think floppy drives are still useful for BIOS updates and the
>like, it's not just Apple that isn't selling machines with floppy
>drives any more.  Go to HP or Dell and try to buy a new machine with a
>floppy drive-- they don't sell them anymore, either...

I certainly can't argue that modern machines typically have
floppy drives ... even if the motherboard supports one.

So what?

Not everyone in the world throws their three year old
computer in the trash so they can stay "up to date." I, for one,
find it very annoying that new versions of software which once
worked just fine on equipment I still use every day no longer
work in their current incarnations. Delving into several such
cases, I've found comments to the effect that functions are
removed because no one uses the old stuff (ie. three years
old) any more.
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company