KDE firefox integration

Anselm Strauss amsibamsi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 16:53:50 UTC 2010

On Sunday 07 March 2010 15:52:30 Josh Paetzel wrote:
> On Sunday 07 March 2010 08:13:53 Elias Chrysoheris wrote:
> > On Sunday 07 of March 2010 15:56:15 Anselm Strauss wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I noticed that in PC-BSD 8 firefox is nicely integrated into KDE.
> > > Anybody knows how to achieve this on FreeBSD 8?
> > >
> > > Anselm
> >
> > I believe you mean that you need KDE to open Firefox whenever you click
> > on a link. That's easy. From your KDE menu, open "System Settings" (in
> > the first tab, "favorites")
> > Then select "Default Applications". Then, in the left list of the
> > applications, choose "Web browser", and at the right part of the screen
> > choose the radio button "in the following browser" and in the edit box
> > enter the "/usr/local/bin/firefox3". Then apply the new settings.
> >
> > Elias
>
> Another trick that PC-BSD uses....which might be more of what you are
>  asking about is the installation of a port called
>  x11-themes/gtk-qt4-engine  This port allows gtk applications to be
>  displayed using qt, which helps integrate the look of things like FF,
>  Thunderbird, OOo with KDE.

I already installed the gtk-qt4-engine, but it has some serious bugs. Scroll
bars are not painted, tab borders are painted at the wrong position, etc.
Could this be because I modified some of KDEs appearance options?

Are there any other integration tweaks, like icons, keyboard shortcuts, file
chooser dialog, ... ?

Thanks,
Anselm