Configure X: multiple keyboard layouts ?

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Sun Mar 7 10:06:58 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'd like to configure X for multiple keyboard layouts, e. g.:

- french
- swiss french
- german

On my Linux box (running CentOS 5.4 and a dated version of X.org), the
configuration for this looks like this :

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "kbd"
   Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option      "XkbLayout" "fr,ch,de"
   Option      "XkbVariant" ",fr,"
   Option      "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

This stanza enables me to toggle between different keyboard layouts,
using the [Alt]+[RightShift] key combination. You might wonder about the
XkbVariant option: the swiss keyboard layout has two variants: fr and
de. This is to indicate the swiss roman layout.

Now is there any way I could achieve a similar thing with the more
recent X.org shipping with FreeBSD 8.0 ?

Any suggestions ?

Niki Kovacs