[SOLVED] Re: How to get "hints" of software installed by Ports ?

daniele glimp at live.com
Fri Mar 5 15:18:25 UTC 2010

On 03/05/10 15:28, Aaron Lewis wrote:
> Jonathan McKeown wrote:
>> On Friday 05 March 2010 16:20:36 Aaron Lewis wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I installed some software from ports today , and it outputs some
>>> useful information when finished. e.g where its config file is
>>>
>>> Due to some mistakes , i lost these "important" information , how
>>> do i see it again ? Is there any tricks to show out it directly ?
>>> I don't want to install it again ..
>>>
>>> Any ideas will appreciate  ;-)
>>
>> pkg_info -D _______________________________________________
>> unsubscribe, send any mail to
> Thanks Jonathan , it helps.

Hi

you can directly inspect the contents of these files (located in the
port folder)
--- pkg-message
--- pkg-descr
for the ports that have them (for example cat
/usr/ports/www/firefox/pkg-message)

I am not aware of any other sources of useful informations. Maybe almost
everything else is sent only to the stdout/stderr ?