xorg, xdm, desktop env

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Fri Mar 5 14:46:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 05:57:45PM -0600, Programmer In Training wrote:

> On 03/04/10 17:43, Warren Block wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Polytropon wrote:
> <snip>
> >> As far as I know, earlier X installations came with the
> >> tab window manager - twm. This doesn't seem to be the case
> >> anymore.
> >
> > twm is still enabled by default as part of the x11/xorg-apps port.
>
> I can confirm that, and I too have problems with XDM despite having
> 'exec wmaker' in my .xinitrc in my home directory (sometimes XDM will
> kick me out to the login, sometimes it will just take me to a blank
> session wherein I can do nothing). I'd like to use XDM and have it start
> on boot so I'm interested in the outcome of this.

If you read the manpage for xdm(1) you will see that the script that
is run on login is ~/.xsession

Try putting "exec wmaker" in there.

To run xdm from boot, you have to edit /etc/ttys and then:

# kill -HUP 1

Look at this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html

Regards,