Flash viewer for FBSD

daniele glimp at live.com
Fri Mar 5 12:18:06 UTC 2010

On 03/05/10 12:00, Pongthep Kulkrisada wrote:
> * Polytropon (freebsd at edvax.de) wrote:
>> Do you have compat7x installed?
> No I don't.
>
>> If you already updated to OS 8.0,
>> you should update your ports tree, too, and
>> use the current ports.
> I always csup the SELECTED port tree but not all.
>
>> Just installing isn't enough, there's some configuration work
>> to be done.
> I don't know kinda GUI, so I don't know how to configure it.
> Please point me to some tutorial.
>
>> By the way, you may be interested in checking how gnash
>> (a GNU based "Flash" implementation) or swfdec may fit
>> your needs.
> I shall check.
>
>> Sure. Maybe the handbook can help here:
>>
>> 	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/desktop-browsers.html
>>
>> See 6.2.3 for detailed information.
> Okay, but I don't want to install firefox.
> I'm much familiar with opera esp. mouse gesturing.
> The handbook says very little about Opera.
> * Sabine Baer (baerks at t-online.de) wrote:
>> I have installed
>> emulators/linux_base-f10,
>> www/linux-opera-10.10 and
>> linux-f10-flashplugin-10.0r45
>> on a 7.2 FreeBSD an can now look at and listen to flash movies on
>> youtube and other sites.
> This seems very likely.
> But I have already done exactly what you described (but on FBSD 8.0).
> Still not OK. I can not even start linux-opera. For you diagnostic,
> When starting from console, it complains ...
> % linux-opera

HI !

I tested the process of installing firefox/opera and flash plugin.
Everything run on my system FreeBSD 8, even though I did not stress
browser & plugin.

Here's all the step that I took to make the flash plugin work for
firefox and opera (basically I followed the handbook).

--- Installed /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-f10

--- kldload linux

--- mount linprocfs

--- installed /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10/

(--- installed /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper)
(--- ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
/usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/ )
(--- as normal user I executed nspluginwrapper ... etc)

--- installed ___NATIVE FREEBSD version___ of Opera [/usr/ports/www/opera]

--- installed /usr/ports/www/opera-linuxplugins/.