freebsd install from floppy

herbert langhans herbert.raimund at gmx.net
Fri Mar 5 11:31:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 01:33:52PM +0100, Piotr Lukawski wrote:
> Dears,
> I need to install Freebsd 8.0 using floppy and then ftp, but there are no
> floppy images in

+ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/8.0-RELEASE/floppies/<ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/8.0-RELEASE/floppies/>mentioned
> in
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.html
> I tried so install Freebsd 7 using availiable floppy (successful) and update
> it to 8.0 (after 3 days finally error and now now whole /usr directory so I
> am stacked).
> Could you please produce install floppy images for Freebsd 8.0? Please
> please please. I have no power to do the install of 7, upgrade and fail
> again :-(
> Thanks in adavance.
> Piotr

Yes, I definitly vote for the release of floppy images too! In my case its the SCSI-CD drives what do not allow me to boot from a CD.

It might be old fashioned, but its very easy just to boot the floppy and then install all over ftp! I guess there are still a couple of systems (old
+laptops, servers) which require it.

Thanks
herb langhans

--