RS232 / TCP converter and BSD.

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Thu Mar 4 13:00:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Olivier GARNIER wrote:

> I have a weather station (Lacross WS2350). (can be connect by USB /
> RS232). I want to get data from a FreeBSD server 70 meter from the
> weather station (with http://www.wviewweather.com/ software). I already
> have a RJ45 cable between the two objects.
>
> I wish i could get a RS232 to RJ45 connecter like this one :
> http://www.lextronic.fr/P6554-convertisseur-tcpip--rs232-cse-h53.html
> And use it to connect the weather station to the RJ45 network, and then
> get data from my BSD.
>
> The bad point is that the soft witch are given with the RS232 to RJ45
> translater are for windows, and it make a virtual port on windows. I
> don't know if it will work on BSD. If it does not work, i'll be oblige
> to buy another RJ45 to RS232 translater... and it's not cheap.
>
> Has anybody already done a such network ?

I have used this:

http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=iplts6&s=0

...with no issues. This one has six RS232 ports; they also make versions
with one, two and four ports. The interface is software-neutral - just
open a TCP connection to the device on port 2001, and everything you send
and receive from the socket goes through the RS232 port. There is an
embedded web server for configuration.

I don't know what the pricing is on these things, but I'm sure they are
not cheap (being Extron and all). But they are easy to use, work right and
don't break. Just my opinion; hope this helps.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]