Remote Building of FreeBSD

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Mar 3 16:22:42 UTC 2010

I am beginning to wonder if there is something different about
the way mfsbsd boots since it actually extracts itself in to
memory upon boot. I looked at bootloader.conf once again and
created a new boot.config file. The system does definitely see
the file because it echos the commands. The boot process breaks
down immediately as if what is on /dev/ad0s1b is not seen as a
boot sector. Here is a screen capture from the system so you can
see both the boot.config file and the system's response.

þÿ/boot.config: -P
verbose_loading="YES"           # Set to YES for verbose loader output
autoboot_delay="-1"             # Delay in seconds before autobooting,
                                # set to -1 if you don't want user to be
                                # allowed to interrupt autoboot process and
comconsole_speed="9600" # Set the current serial console speed
console="vidconsole,comconsole"         # A comma separated list of console(s)
currdev="disk1s1b"              # Set the current device
root_disk_unit="0"              # Force the root disk unit number
rootdev="disk1s1b"              # Set the root filesystem

System Response

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)to
boot:
'And there we die. There is a valid boot sector at Default: 0:ad(0,a)
but there is also now valid boot code at
 0:ad(0,b) which is what I am trying to force with boot.config.

	If one does fdisk on a partition that has had
mfsboot.img sprayed on it, fdisk shows the first 3 partitions
as being unused while Partition 4 has a type of 165 or standard
FreeBSD.

	I think I am calling the bootloader wrong since the very
same mfsboot image works properly when applied to /dev/ad0. The
only difference is that one now has the same partition
configuration on /dev/ad0 instead of ad0s1b

Martin McCormick