Remote Building of FreeBSD

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Mar 2 17:50:06 UTC 2010

	The boot.config file I thought would boot mfsbsd on what
was the swap partition is not  working. On this particular
drive, ad0s1a is the normal FreeBSD partition and ad0s1b is
swap. The idea is to use dd to write the mfsboot.img file to
/dev/ad0s1b and then boot from there. My boot.config file is as
follows:

-P
rootdev="disk2s1b"
   root_disk_unit="0"

	I get the following message from the serial console:

/boot.config: -P
rootdev="disk2s1b"
   root_disk_unit="0"

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)root_disk_unit="0"
boot:
No root_disk_unit="0"

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)root_disk_unit="0"
boot:

The message Default: 0:ad(0,a)root_disk_unit="0"

does seem to be what one would expect for the ad0s1a partition
but I don't think I am telling the system to boot as the
mfsboot.img file does work if one writes it to /dev/ad0.