Handbook Index

Tony McC afmcc at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 2 15:05:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:25:42 +0800
Fbsd1 <fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> I find it very hard to find the subject I am looking for in the
> handbook. The index only gets me to the general area in the handbook
> and then I have to (next page) through it looking for what I hope is
> there.
>
> The Index really needs to be expanded to display each and every
> sub-section of all the major sections now in the index.
>
> For example Installing from a "ms/dos partition" or "splash screen
> usage".
>
> These are both subjects in the handbook but are not in the index.
> What good is am index that does not index its content?
>
> The purpose of the index is to list all subjects documented in the
> handbook so the reader can skim through the index and click on the
> exact subject they want to read. Can not do that with the current
> handbook index.
>
> So what do other people think?
> Should I submit a Doc bug on this??

Hi "A1Poweruser",

why don't you build book.txt (add WITH_TXT=yes to /etc/make.conf and
rebuild the docs port)?  Then you can just use grep to search for what
you want.  With the examples you gave, grep -in "msdos" or grep -in
"splash screen" give me a few places to look.  An index is useful in a
dead-tree book, but for a 4Mb text file you might as well use grep.

Tony