Hi - identifying cause of crash - a how to please

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Tue Mar 2 09:38:37 UTC 2010

Hi

I have a specific situation which causes a system crash on freebsd 7.2 p3
amd64 on intel quad core.  Can someone teach me how to trace the cause?

The crash is repeatable in the following circumstances:

(a) User logs in
(b) % startx
(c) kde4 loads and works the session
(d) user logs out x session terminates.
(e) user attempts to start a new x session with:
(f) % startx
(g) system crashes immediately

System requires rebooting to single user mode. Run fsck -y and then go
multiuser. Whereupon the cycle can be repeated.

This event did not occur until kde was upgraded to kde 4.3.5.

The video card is a winfast PX7800GT providing openGL with dual DVI. The crash
problem was not present before upgrading to 3.4.5 so whilst not ruling out the
card I am not assuming it is the video card.

It would be helpful if the procedure could be identified clearly. I will post
the results available on the web so someone who knows how to interpret them
could take a look.

Finally should I be asking this question on another maillist?

Photographic Artist
Permanent Installations & Design
Creative Imagery and Advanced Digital Techniques
High Dynamic Range Photography & Official Portraiture
Combined darkroom & digital creations
& Systems Adminstrator for the vizion2000.net network