Adding slice on existing disk

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Mar 1 16:49:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 10:25:48 +0100, Leslie Jensen <leslie at eskk.nu> wrote:
> On a dualboot system I've made some space available that I want to make
> a freebsd slice of.
> [...]
> Any suggestions on how to solve this?

I would suggest to use sysinstall oder sade for this task,
this is because I'm lazy. :-)

In the slice editor, you create a slice covering the space
you made free, or, if neccessary, you delete obsolete slices
prior to creating a new one.

In the label editor, you select the new slice (e. g. ad4s4)
and create a partition covering the whole slice. You set
the options "UFS2+S Y" (which means to use UFS2 file system
plus soft updates, and "yes" to newfs, so the partition will
be formatted), and set a mountpoint that you have already
created (e. g. /data).

Finally you confirm the settings and write them to the disk.
This should work fine.

Of course, you can do the same using the command line tools,
in the same order:
	1. create new slice,
	2. create new partition inside slice,
	3. format the partition, and finally