partition / is full

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Jun 25 14:29:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 04:19:56PM +0200, Pawe? Grzyb wrote:

> My dear friends,
>
>     Tool "df" showed me that the partition / has 102% of the occupied space
> (102% Capacity). Added a file? rc.conf --> clear_tmp_enable="YES" but
> nothing that could not (although it has been emptied tmp). Personally, I
> think that you need to remove the old kernel (I did freebsd-update fetch and
> install), but I do not know how. Perhaps the reason is quite different - I'm
> just guessing. Do you know how to fix it?

That could fill up your root (/) partition.  Getting rid of obsolete kernels
could help.

Another thing is to think out what you have in root.   Does it include
such things as /var, /tmp, /home, /usr (including /usr/local maybe)
You may wany to move something like /home or /var or /usr/local to
another large partition and make a syn link.

Another option is just making separate partitions for /tmp, /home
/var and /usr or at least /usr/local.   Of course, that would
require taking the system down, backing up all affected partitions
with dump(8), revising the partition structure, editing /etc/fstab and
then restoring everything with restore(8).

////jerry