PDF storage software recommendations?

Dale Scott dalescott at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 17 21:22:55 UTC 2010

> I'm certain that we have something in ports that will do this, but
> danged if I can find a good candidate.  While I'm sure I
> could build a
> database/PHP app that would work, surely someone's already done this?
> Any recommendations?

I'm experimenting with OpenDocMan (PHP/MySQL, http://www.opendocman.com/) for storing ad hoc documents associated with part numbers in a WebERP system (http://www.weberp.org). system. OpenDocMan has been around for a while and didn't see a lot of activity after release, but seems to be pretty active again. We added a menu item in the WebERP ItemMaster page for a user to submit an associated document, which is just a link to the submit document page in OpenDocMan (also added a "Search for Associated Documents" menu item which is a link to a search in OpenDocMan for documents associated with that part number). If there are multiple documents associated with part number, the user would have to zip the documents and then check-in the zip archive. This concept can be applied to other documents, such as a received purchase order which is then associated with a new internal sales order and production order.

I'm also investigating using Mercurial and the Windows TortoiseHg client (or a simplfied custom "management-and-incoming-inspection-clerk" friendly client) to check-in an arbitrary directory structure. Users could create a local directory on their Windows box for mini-project work (e.g., datasheets for a commercial-off-the-shelf part, Word doc and graphics for a user manual, sales analysis spreadsheet and PowerPoint presentation, custom part drawings and work instruction, etc.), and when they're finished, "check-in" the directory. I think the folder check-in might be a simpler concept for casual users, but need to finish the strawman and get some critique.

Dale

Dale Scott, P.Eng.
e-mail: dalescott at shaw.ca
http://dalescott.shawwebspace.ca