PDF storage software recommendations?

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Thu Jun 17 18:55:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 01:12:13PM -0400, Greg Larkin wrote:

> Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have to store a bunch of PDFs of orders.  I'd like to be able to
> > "tag" these by customer, date, and a couple of other characteristics,
> > and then search and/or sort by these tags.
> >
> > I'm certain that we have something in ports that will do this, but
> > danged if I can find a good candidate.  While I'm sure I could build a
> > database/PHP app that would work, surely someone's already done this?
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > ==ml
> >

> Hi Michael,
>
> I maintain print/pdftk, and you can edit document metadata with it.  The
> "updateinfo" subcommand should do what you want.  I found this page
> describing that and some other functions of the tool:
> http://scottnesbitt.net/ubuntublog/?p=269.

That looks like a fabulous tool, actually.  I've wanted that
functionality for years.  But it's not quite what I want.

We get orders for services via PDF.  We need to keep them, and call
them up months or years later.  We'd need to find things like "all of
the PDFs for Customer X" or "all of the PDFs for circuit ID
such-and-such."  Surely other people have had this problem, for
generic documents/files if not PDFs in particular...

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org
http://www.MichaelWLucas.com/, http://blather.MichaelWLucas.com/