pkg_version strange output

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 17 17:18:19 UTC 2010

Giorgos Tsiapaliokas wrote:
> hello,
>
> when i give the command "pkg_version" the following output comes up..
>
> libxkbfile                          =
[...]
>> xvinfo                              <
>> xwd                                 <
>> xwininfo                            <
>> xwud                                <
>> xz                                  =
>> pkg_version: corrupted record (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
>> pkg_version: corrupted record (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
>> yakuake-kde4                        =
>> yasm                                =
>> zh-arphicttf                        =
>> zh-docproj                          =
>> zh-ttf2pt1                          =
>> zh-ttfm                             =
>> zh_cn-freebsd-doc                   =
>> zh_tw-freebsd-doc                   =
>> zip                                 =
>> zsh                                 =
>>

> what is going on???
>
> thanks for your answers..!

Hi Giorgos,

I assume that you're wondering about the "corrupted record" messages in
particular?  If so, this message from the freebsd-ports archive might
help you correct them:
http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg22366.html

If you're referring to mnemonic output ("=", "<", etc.), that's normal
pkg_version output:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pkg_version&sourceid=opensearch

Personally, I usually run "pkg_version -vL=" to show me only the
packages that need to be upgraded.  All of the up-to-date packages are
suppressed, and the output looks like this:

ca_root_nss-3.11.7                  <   needs updating (port has 3.12.4)
clamav-0.95.3                       <   needs updating (port has 0.96.1)
compositeproto-0.3.1                <   needs updating (port has 0.4.1)
coreutils-6.9_2                     <   needs updating (port has 7.5_1)
courier-authlib-base-0.61.0         <   needs updating (port has 0.63.0)

Hope that helps,
Greg
- --
Greg Larkin