upgrading form 7.1-RELEASE to 8.0-RELEASE?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 13:40:27 UTC 2010

On 17/06/2010 13:41:43, Tom Worster wrote:
> On 6/16/10 1:06 PM, "Matthew Seaman" <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>

> would the order to do things be: update ports with portsnap, install
> misc/compat7x, upgrade with freebsd-update and reboot?

You need to be running 8.0 or above before you can install compat7x, so
it's upgrade with freebsd-update, reboot, install compat7x, either
reboot again, or restart any daemons that didn't start first time.

I think.  I'm assuming freebsd-update zaps the 7.x shlibs when you do a
7.x -> 8.0 upgrade, BICBW.

>> Oracle pushing to drop support for MySQL 5.0) so a bit of forethough and
>> planning is advised, but there's no real deal-breaker there.
>
> this has been a vexing concern for some considerable time now. but it's
> perhaps out of scope here. if we had better insight into where oracle is
> taking it...

I think it's pretty clear that Oracle are going to maintain MySQL as a
freely available database product for the foreseeable future.  They are
keen to get as many people as possible onto the current release though,
so 5.0 is being deprecated in favour of 5.1, and 5.5 is rapidly
approaching.  5.1 is pretty much a super-set of 5.0 so you're not likely
to have to do any more than run some regression tests to show your
schema and SQL still works correctly.

>> Also, if you wait for a few weeks you could go directly to 8.1-RELEASE,
>> which might be a better choice.  There have been some pretty significant
>> bugfixes between 8.0-RELEASE and 8.1-RELEASE.
>
> bug fixes sound nice. a few weeks you say?

Probably more like a month, actually.  The schedule is here:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.1R/schedule.html

but it's not unusual for the release to be delayed as RE team work on
ensuring it is of the required quality.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

- --