xsltproc: failed to load external entity

A. Wright andrew at qemg.org
Wed Jun 9 13:34:39 UTC 2010

Is anyone else experiencing a rash of docbook-related build
issues centering around xsltproc accessing remote XML files?

Currently while building polkit (recursively from a build of emacs), I get
the error:

 	gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/sysutils/polkit/work/polkit-0.96/docs/man'
 	/usr/local/bin/xsltproc -nonet --stringparam man.base.url.for.relative.links /usr/local/share/gtk-doc/html/polkit-1/ --xinclude http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl polkit.xml
 	warning: failed to load external entity "http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl"
 	cannot parse http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl
 	gmake[3]: *** [polkit.8] Error 4

I'm not a common user of xsltproc, but the combination of an argument
beginning "http://" along with the option "-nonet" (described as "Do not
use the Internet to fetch DTDs, entities or documents" on the man page)
seems rather fishy to me.  Can this combination ever work?

Has anyone else seen this?  Does anyone have a suggestion for a fix?

Thanks,
Andrew.