office apps

Anh Ky Huynh xkyanh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 04:22:20 UTC 2010

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 13:34:16 -0700
Chip Camden <sterling at camdensoftware.com> wrote:

> This might not be the right list for this question -- if so, please
> slap me over to the right one.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a lighter-weight office suite?
> OOo is such a pig.  It takes a good minute to start it up and open a
> spreadsheet.

There are some tips to speed up your Ooo. But if your Ooo took minute to start, I guess that your system has a low hardware?

For short/unstructure documents, I suggest you to use Ooo (it slows but you can type the document quickly:D) For long/structure documents, LaTeX is a good choice. It is said that ConTeXt is good replacement of LaTeX but I have never tried it.

> Short of the full suite, how about just a spreadsheet program that
> supports complex formulas and charting?  If it could also be used
> without X11 when charting isn't needed, that would make my day.

Have you ever tried Google Spreadsheet or something like that?

--
Anh Ky Huynh