FreeBSD 8.0 linux emulator kernel panic

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Sun Jun 6 23:38:17 UTC 2010

On Sunday 06 June 2010 19:31:00 Bogdan Webb wrote:
> I'm having issues with the Fedora Core6 linux emulator on FreeBSD 8.0 it
> panics when i run HLDS, the same issue was addressed by Daniel Ballenger in
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-February/054646.html
>but i did not get the fix. Giovanni Trematerra gave a response that it was
> fix in a "r200768" now it is clear that i do not know that that code means
> (in my eyes it's a bsd build or smth) but i'm currently running the latest
> 8.0-RELEASE-p3 available. Please advise on how to patch the kernel panic.

r200768 uniquely identifies a single change to the FreeBSD source code. In
this case it identifies a bugfix to linux_signal.c.

You need to run 8-STABLE (currently it will show up as 8.1-PRERELEASE) to get
the fix. I know it works because I also run multiple HLDS processes on
FreeBSD.

To get 8-STABLE: cvsup/csup the sources to RELENG_8, then follow these
instructions to upgrade:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

Good luck!

--