Booting Xserve on 8.0

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 17:24:16 UTC 2010

On 6 June 2010 17:50, Chris <eagletree at hughes.net> wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2010, at 4:09 AM, Adam Vande More wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Chris <eagletree at hughes.net> wrote:
>>
>> EFI is the issue. I was hoping there is new information such as
>> an installation with EFI configuration files to permit the boot.
>> There are instructions available on creating such an installation
>> for linux variants. They don't seem to apply to FreeBSD or I haven't
>> the knowledge to create such an installation.
>>

>> Well if you want to run BSD on it, I suggest NetBSD.  They use rEFIt for
>> it.
>> http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_NetBSD_on_an_Apple_Macbook_w/core2duo
>>
>> I would say there is even some reasonable hope it that it would work well.
>>  I'm no expert thought so you could try asking over there.
>>

> Adam and Chris, Thank you, you both are on the solution if it works.
>
> rEFIt at refit.sourceforge.net was one of the solutions that looked
> promising, only with FreeBSD. I will try this.
>
> Anyone interested, feel free to contact me off-list on progress or
> especially
> if interested in cooperative discovery on whether this will work or not.
>
> Thanks again for the responses.

I would recommend keeping discussion on-list, if you don't mind,
because the Archives are incredibly useful to people trying to solve
similar problems.

We all learn from watching discussions on these lists, that's why
we're subscribed!

Of course, if you consider it confidential feel free to go off-list,
it's your call.

Chris