portsnap refuse

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 6 10:59:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:55:22 +0800
Fbsd1 <fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> The postsnap says adding refuse statements to select the parts of the
> port tree you have use for will shorten the download process and
> conserve disk space on your host. That only the port categories not
> REFUSED will be selected and compressed for download.
>
> Well for a test I ran portsnap with out any portsnap.conf file. The
> download process took 16 minuets. The I mv portsnap.conf.sample to
> portsnap.conf  and added REFUSE for all the categories except
> sysutils.
>
> Reran the portsnap and still it took 16 minuets.

I'm not sure what you are saying here, if you ran portsnap twice in
succession then the second run shouldn't need any downloads.

If you deleted portsnap's data in between then that's what I'd expect.
portsnap can request updates to ports or files, but the initial
download is a single large file which it can't customize.