[sterling@camdensoftware.com: Re: ncurses]

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Fri Jun 4 17:50:51 UTC 2010

On Jun 04 2010 19:24, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 10:12:12AM -0700, Chip Camden wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for all the info, but i get the same results in mutt-devel as I do
> > in mutt.  WITH_MUTT_SLANG didn't seem to take either.
> >
> > Is there a way to specify that mutt should use the system ncurses instead
> > of devel/ncurses?
>
> Looking at the port's Makefile, it depends on the system ncurses library if
> neither WITH_SLANG nor WITH_NCURSES_PORT is set. But it could still link to
> the port's library if that is first in the link path.
>
> If you build rxvt-unicode with the TERMINFO option switched OFF, urxvt-unicode
> does not depend on devel/ncurses. If you then de-install devel/ncurses and
> recompile mutt, it must use the system library.
>
> But in my experience, using a wrong font, or setting the wrong LANG or LC_ALL
> in the environment is more likely to screw things up.
>
> Roland
> --
> R.F.Smith                                   http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/
> [plain text _non-HTML_ PGP/GnuPG encrypted/signed email much appreciated]
> pgp: 1A2B 477F 9970 BA3C 2914  B7CE 1277 EFB0 C321 A725 (KeyID: C321A725)

Thank you -- I should have read the Makefile myself.  It was WITH_SLANG,
not WITH_MUTT_SLANG.  That solves the problem, and has the added benefit
of being able to use my default text color (SpringGreen) instead of
having to stick to the 8 normal colors.

I thought that might have also opened up urxvt's 256-color support, but
mutt still thinks I have only 8 colors.  At least I can default to my
urxvt settings for normal text, though.

Thanks again for your help!

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden | camdensoftware.com | chipstips.com | chipsquips.com