UPGRADE TO RELEASE 8.0-P3/SAMBA HELP REQUIRED

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jun 3 23:11:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 22:58:48 +0000 (GMT), Andy Hiscock <andyjhiscock at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So am I lead to believe FreeBSD is mean to be a "Mechanics"
> Operating system?  I say that in the nicest way.

I wouldn't go that far, but FreeBSD, as well as repairing a car,
requires certain knowledge and experience, I agree.

> "We are not interested about the "uneducated" user."

But PC-BSD is interested in them. :-)

No, honestly, I don't want to insult PC-BSD. Maybe you should have
a look at it: It's a FreeBSD based operating system and application
bundle, just like a Linux distribution, and comes preconfigured
with KDE and many tools aiming at users who are not able or do not
want to know about their OS. It's an "every day task" system that
perfectly fits "Joe Q. Sixpack" users. And I really mean this as
a positive statement.

You should really take a look at their website to see if this is
what you want. By the way, PC-BSD is a good starting point for
better BSD education, but nothing is better than building your
own system from scratch. :-)

> or "Leave the idiots to Windows/Mac or Linux point and click"?

Using a real operating system requires real knowledge. It is very
important to understand that computers aren't easy, in contra-
diction to what advertising wants people to believe.

> As updating my BSD version has been nothing but problems.

Because you haven't fully performed it. To use a car analogy: You
put a new motor in the car, but you didn't connect it with all
the other parts inside the car, and you notice: "Hey, I can't
drive this damn car!" :-)

> The transition from BSD 7 to 8 is equivalent to a windows
> service pack or Mac OS release, both which happen seamlessly.

The transition from 7 to 8 involves more work than the transition
within 7. I think Giorgos Keramidas explained this better than I
did. Just imagine my "fun" when having to go from 5 to 7! I got
20 years older in one week. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany