still no luck with ffmpeg 6_2_1 and FreeBSD 6.3

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 29 09:08:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 01:43:27PM +0700, John Francis Lee wrote:
> Hello,
<snip>
> I'm trying to make an internet language lab for kids here in Chiangrai.
> The tool I've found to record their voices over the wire (nanogong)
> creates .wav files, but flash and the rest of the world want .mp3 files
> to play back... and they're smaller. I need  a way to convert .wav to
> .mp3 files, and ffmpeg is what I use on my linux at home...

Try the audio/lame port. It's a high-quality mp3 encoder. In some countries
you might need one or several patent licenses to use MP3 encoders. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing_and_patent_issues
Generally most people ignore these patents, I think.

You might also want to look at the audio/vorbis-tools port. Generally Ogg
Vorbis files are smaller than mp3. Also those tools and its format are not
encumbered by patents.

For the highest quality, use lossless encoding as used by audio/flac.

AFAIK, pretty much all sound/multimedia playback programs available on FreeBSD
and Linux support all these formats.

Roland