Upgrading to 8.1; Perl; and libgcrypt

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 29 08:44:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 12:26:48AM +0000, J. Altman wrote:
> > I would advise you to use portmaster;
> >
> >   1) portmaster -o lang/perl5.12 lang/perl5.10
> >   2) portmaster p5-
> >
> > That worked for me.
>
> Hmm...well, I've used portupgrade since 4.3, and have only wondered
> if switching is a good thing. I've not made time to learn that
> process.

Unlike portupgrade, portmaster doesn't rely on an extra database. It just uses
the information in /var/db/pkg/. I find it easier to work with. Every week or
so, I use two commands to keep my ports up to date;

  1) portsnap fetch update
  2) portmaster -a -B -d

Using portsnap is _much_ faster than using csup! Of course I check
/usr/ports/UPDATING between step 1 and 2. And if I find something relevant in
UPDATING, I usually take care of that first. This has been a pretty much
painless way to keep my ports updated.

Roland