BSD logo (a moderate opinion)

Dale Scott dalescott at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 28 19:23:32 UTC 2010

Personally, I enjoy our mascot Beastie, as well as the Beastie-influenced official logo. I also smile when I see Casper, Wendy andHotStuff.
 However, I also accept there are individuals who understand these symbols differently than me, and that I may be alienating them to my
detriment.  It seems consumer products need to be mindful of cultural
differences, is FreeBSD different? A larger community and increased OS market share wouldn't be all that bad, would it?

I hope that those of you who believe in FreeBSD but with a personal conflict with the mascot or logo,
 band together and propose a complementary alternate symbol. I don't
mean flooding the mail list (it's obvious we can do that on our own),
I'm talking about difficult time-consuming organization, lobbying, and
support gathering. For me, I hope Beastie endures forever - he our first and legacy mascot - but I also wouldn't object to one or two more officially sanctioned mascots and logos either.

Dale Scott