BSD logo

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Mon Jul 26 05:19:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:29:37AM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 08:47:30AM -0500, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> >
> > I guess that depends on which period of Latin one studies.  From Latin
> > Pronunciation Demystified:
> >
> > http://www.ai.uga.edu/mc/latinpro.pdf
> >
> >     ae like English ai in aisle
> >
> > Which is how I pronounce ae in Latin.  On the other hand, I've always
> > pronounced daemon like day-mohn, probably from hearing Jon Pertwee
> > pronounce it that way in the Doctor Who episode The Dæmons.
>
> Without downloading a PDF and reading it . . . do you know what Latin
> variant is used in that document?

No, without download and reading the PDF I wouldn't know what Latin
variant is used in that document.  :-)  Since it was only a 39K file,
there was no reason for me to worry about downloading it.

> Is it classical, church, or scientifically bastardized Latin (for
> instance)?  I'm curious.

Yes, to all of the above.  It has a chart showing a few pronunciations
including classical which it describes as the reconstructed ancient
pronunciation.  It even includes an "English method" which is
basically pronouncing Latin words as if they were English words.

> I know that in at least some contexts the Latin pronunciation is more
> "dee" than "dai" for daemon, and that "dee" is the pronunciation
> generally considered "correct" for server processes in Unix systems.
> Beyond that, it's entirely possible there are other pronunciations of
> which I am not aware -- though I'm pretty sure "day" is solely an
> artifact of people trying to figure out how to pronounce terms that
> contain the ae (or the æ ligature) without actually trying to look it up.

The above document describes ae in classical pronunciation as like ai
in aisle and in all other pronunciations like Latin ē.  It describes
Latin ē in all pronunciations, except the English method, as like a in
plate.  Going by the above the first syllable of daemon could be
pronounced like day.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system?  One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.