BSD logo

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Jul 24 07:05:22 UTC 2010

On Jul 23, 2010, at 11:24 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
> It's a cartoon character.  It's not an attempt to lure your children
> join Satan's armies.  There's no reason to be "deterred" from giving
> FreeBSD a try just because of a friendly cartoon character.

I'm reminded of when some Christian groups called for a boycott of
Apple because they had an OS project code-named "Darwin."  Some people
will just go out of their way to look for reasons to take offense.

I'm reminded that the SATAN network scanner project used to ship a
utility with the source code that would patch it to rename it
"SANTA".  I suppose someone could fork a new BSD distribution with an
angel for a logo, to mollify these sorts of people.  Call it
BlessedBSD (BleSseD?) or something. ;)