Emacs splash screen went to textmode only

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Sun Jul 18 19:34:38 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've recently updated Emacs to the latest version (23.2_2,2 from
23.1.1) along with all dependencies. Since then, the startup screen
when running in an X window shows b/w text only like in the days of
yore. Not that the startup screen graphics are that important, but
things that don't work as expected tend to make me nervous.

According to startup.el, the following variables affect what is shown
at startup. Evaluating them in the scratch buffer looks like this:

inhibit-startup-screen
nil
initial-buffer-choice
nil

That is, the startup screen *should* be displayed, or am I missing
something here?

The interesting thing is that nothing else about the startup screen
appears broken. If I evaluate

(fancy-startup-screen)

in the scratch buffer, i.e. the function which actually displays the
startup screen, Emacs faithfully does so, including the graphics and
all bells and whistles.

Has anything fundamentally changed between these versions? Does Emacs
think it runs in a terminal? Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka