GUI for AC

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Jul 17 16:34:42 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 01:22:52AM +1000, Ian Smith wrote:
> In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 319, Issue 10, Message: 18
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 07:48:38 -0400 Jerry <freebsd.user at seibercom.net> wrote:
>  >
>  > Per wiki: "support so called POSIX.1e ACLs, based on an early POSIX
>  > draft that was abandoned".
>
> Let's have that quote from the wikipedia page in a little more context:
>
> "Most of the Unix and Unix-like operating systems (e.g. Linux,[1] BSD, or
> Solaris) support so called POSIX.1e ACLs, based on an early POSIX draft
> that was abandoned. Many of them, for example AIX, Mac OS X beginning
> with version 10.4 ("Tiger"), or Solaris with ZFS filesystem[2], support
> NFSv4 ACLs, which are part of the NFSv4 standard. FreeBSD 9-CURRENT
> supports NFSv4 ACLs on both UFS and ZFS file systems; full support is
> expected to be backported to version 8.1[3]. There is an experimental
> implementation of NFSv4 ACLs for Linux.[4]"
>
>  > My original statement is still valid, FreeBSD has still not released a
>  > stable version of its OS that fully supports the latest acl standards.
>
> Ignoring the fact that anyone running 8-STABLE has had these for a good
> while, yes, that will be true of FreeBSD -RELEASE versions for days or
> perhaps weeks yet, regarding the newer NFSv4 ACLs.
>
> Can you provide a link to where 'the latest ACL standards' are defined,
> and say which, if any, OS you consider 'fully integrated' with them?

I don't think Jerry will be able to do so, because there is no set of
"latest ACL standards" defined.  The closest thing to an actual standard
outside of the NFS standard is the abandoned standard for POSIX.1e ACLs,
so far as I'm aware.  Meanwhile, for Linux-based systems, there is also
only an experimental implementation of the NFSv4 ACLs (as your quote
points out).  Perhaps Jerry thinks that AIX, MacOS X, or Solaris is The
Best Unix, or perhaps he simply is not aware of the actual state of
things in the world of ACLs.

I suppose it's possible that I'm ignorant of some important detail,
instead.  If so, I hope someone will educate me on the subject.