ipnat.conf - map and rdr won't work!

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sat Jul 17 11:51:36 UTC 2010

On 16/07/10 02.56, alexus wrote:

>> What's that first rule supposed to do?
>
> provides a NAT within jail

Just guessing, try to put the rdr rule first. Another thing, the
firewall/nat may be loaded before starting the jail and thus unaware of
interfaces etc assigned to the jail.

>> Where is this? this "su-3.2" is a bit confusing, would be useful to set your
>> hostname to "jail" within the jail...
>
> su-3.2 is a host environment where jail is hosted

And from within the jail, what do you see? From what I understand
172.16.172.16 is the jail IP?

>> I think it is typical for jails to clone the loopback interface for this
>> setup.
>
> not sure what you mean by this...
> if you referring this statement as if you though this is jail itself
> then
> this is not jail this is host environment (where jail is hosted)

>> Use tcpdump, you should see if your rdr/map rules work as expected. Also,
>> pfctl -ss and similar.
>
> su-3.2# pfctl -ss
> pfctl: /dev/pf: No such file or directory
> su-3.2#

Ah, you use ipfilter?

> i don't know how to use tcpdump, can you provide exact syntax so i can run it?

The man-page is excelent.

>> anyone?
>>
>> If nobody replies, maybe try to rephrase your question, investigate further
>> and provide additional information rather than just repost.
>
> i was under impression that i pretty much covered all basis, or at
> least i thought i so ... apparently not...

Honestly, I don't have a clear picture of what works and what doesn't or
where. You haven't posted your jail config from rc.conf and you could
help by making it clear when running any command that this is in the
jail, jail# this is on the hosting system hostname# and this is the
client client# etc...

BR, Erik