GUI for ACL

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sat Jul 17 08:05:01 UTC 2010

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 319, Issue 9, Message: 24
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 07:26:18 -0400 Jerry <freebsd.user at seibercom.net> wrote:
 > On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:17:25 +0530
 > Ashish SHUKLA <ashish at FreeBSD.org> articulated:
 >
 > > I've not used KDE since they released KDE 4, but IIRC, KDE 3.5.x used to have
 > > ACL support integrated in it[1] by default. Are you sure there isn't any such
 > > setting you probably missing during compilation in KDE 4.x ?

 > No really. You cannot add users or change individual user's permissions
 > via KDE's default file browser. Obviously, I can accomplish most of
 > what I want to do from the command line, abet more slowly and error
 > prone.

Does that represent a regression in KDE4 from KDE3.5.x?

 > Having read up on a few Googled items, it appears that FreeBSD has not
 > matured sufficiently yet to allow full integration of ACLs. Supposedly,
 > 9.x will offer better integration.

Integration with what?  KDE?

Perhaps I googled a little harder Jerry, but thanks to Robert Watson's
TrustedBSD framework, FreeBSD has supported POSIX 1.e ACLs since 5.1 and
NFSv4 ACLs in 8-STABLE for quite a while now; they'll be in 8.1-RELEASE
for both UFS and ZFS filesystems.

Maybe it's the predominantly Linux-centric KDE that has not yet matured
sufficiently to include support for FreeBSD ACLs?  As Carmel memtioned,
the (as usual) excellent article by Dru Lavigne on using FreeBSD ACLs at
http://onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/09/22/FreeBSD_Basics.html demonstrated
using Gnome's Nautilus enhanced by the port sysutils/eiciel - in 2005.

Among the many other useful results from googling 'FreeBSD ACLs':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list
http://wiki.freebsd.org/NFSv4_ACLs
http://wiki.freebsd.org/Releng/8.1TODO/

cheers, Ian