trouble mounting USB digital camera

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jul 13 10:15:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:59:21 +0100, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm trying to mount USB digital camera
> to FBSD -current (either i386 or amd64).
>
> I get to
>
> 	ugen1.2: <Eastman Kodak Company> at usbus1
>
> in dmesg, but no block device appears,
> so I'm not sure how to mount this device.

There may be two reasons:

a) The camera does identify as ugen because it has to be interfaced
   like a camera device; use photo2 or gtkam to obtain content.
   This means you cannot actually mount it, but use a program to
   control its actions.

b) The camera can use both modes, as decribed in a) as well as a
   direct access mode; use the camera's setting to switch to the
   USB storage mode. Then you can easily mount it.

> Does the procedure for mounding USB camera
> devices differ from that form USB flash drives?

No. As long as the camera does identify to the system as a direct
access storage device (da), same procedures apply.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany