/usr/local empty after upgrade

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 19:39:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Lowell Gilbert <
freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > 100% sure... I have tried to rebuild world but I still end up with an
> empty
> > /usr/local.. Prior to upgrading from 8.0-RELEASE, the directory has the
> > usual files and directories, but after the upgrade, its empty. Good thing
> is
> > that I had not installed any ports.
> >
> > I'd like to avoid a reinstall, which is why I was wondering if there is a
> > way I can get this directory back with its files and directories.
>
> mtree -p /usr/local < /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist

This is the command I have been looking for. I have dealt with a messed up
/var but not a vanished local directory

> (I thought buildworld did that for you, but apparently it doesn't.
> Probably because you can't put it somewhere else if you like.)

I thought so too. Either the journals are not done right or....

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.