VLANs is this right?

Modulok modulok at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 16:16:30 UTC 2010

Hopefully this doesn't get too garbled by various mail clients:

Internet

FreeBSD router

(tagged frames)

   switch
   |    |
vlan1 vlan2
 |        |
hostA    hostB

Criteria:
    - HostA must never directly talk to HostB.
    - Both hostA and hostB have an Internet connection.

What I have to work with:
    proCurve switch which supports VLANs.
    2x Intel NICs in FreeBSD which support VLANs.

I've never messed with VLANs before. This is all new to me. As I
understand so far, this should be a simple matter of creating the
vlans on the switch, assigning ports to their respective vlan in
'untagged' mode, and then assigning the port BSD connects to, as a
'tagged' member of both VLAN's? Then I'd create an IP alias on the
internal FreeBSD NIC, so that it can talk to both networks over the
same wire? Is this right?

I'd do more experimentation but I can't have down time until later
tonight so I thought I'd ask in the mean time.

Thanks!
-Modulok-