pxe LiveCD setup

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Jul 5 01:38:18 UTC 2010

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010, Carl Chave wrote:

> Etherboot/gPXE is interesting also.  It will boot from http.  One of
> my grub4dos menu entries is a gPXE floppy image with the generic UNDI
> driver though I haven't really used it much.
>
> http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/start

I tried it last night, although it and apparently most other things hate
the alc0 interface.

Eventually it seemed like an NFS server would be useful, and pxeboot
will start a FreeBSD livefs.  But only directly, entering FreeBSD's
pxeboot as the filename in DHCP.

With grub4dos
   title FreeBSD
   pxe keep
   chainloader --raw (pd)/images/freebsd/boot/pxeboot

it loads pxeboot, but then:

netboot: couldn't probe pxenet0
pxe_open: netif_open() failed
can't load 'kernel'
OK

So it loads pxeboot, but then pxeboot can't use the pxenet0 device.