Samba gives "invalid PT_PHDR" after upgrading from 7.2-RELEASE to 7.3-RELEASE

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Jul 3 22:15:54 UTC 2010

I apologize if this has been asked before; I tried searching the list,
but the search engine on lists.freebsd.org keeps giving me an error
message.

Today I upgraded my system from FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE to FreeBSD 7.3-
RELEASE using freebsd-update. Samba no longer runs.  I get the
following error messages:

Starting nmbd.
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/sbin/nmbd: invalid PT_PHDR
Starting smbd.
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/sbin/smbd: invalid PT_PHDR

My upgrade sequence was to run 'freebsd-update upgrade -r 7.3-RELEASE'
and 'freebsd-update install', followed by a reboot, then 'freebsd-
update install' again, followed by a second reboot.

I tried rebuilding the Samba port, thinking maybe it was an ABI
change, but it still doesn't work.  Can someone point me in the right
direction?