KDE post-install steps

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jul 2 22:26:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 15:21:31 -0700 (PDT), Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Q: Does KDE installation have a "Step 2"?

I think KDE also relies on DBUS and HAL (which need to be installed
and enabled via /etc/rc.conf), and activating the KDE login manager
for X (kdm) requires an entry in /etc/ttys similar to the one that
is suggested for Gnome; if it's not desired, use "startkde" (I think
it is the correct name, or "startkde4" maybe) in ~/.xinitrc or in
~/.xsession respectively.

And a general note: The "Step 2" does not belong to the installation,
it already belongs to configuration (i. e. enabling the just installed
piece of software).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany