Convert all packages to ports

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 2 00:29:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 14:58:07 -0700 (PDT)
Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Thu, 7/1/10, Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, your comment seems to be in disagreement with online
> warnings of "do not mix 'pkg_add' packages with 'make' ports".
>
> My original question's intention was to prevent me from having a
> system where some packages were installed with 'pkg_add' while others
> were installed with 'make'.

There's not a problem with mixing them per se - an installed package is
the same whether it created from  a port or a package file. Problems
arise because the release packages where built against a snapshot of
the ports tree made well before the release, so the dependencies can be
very different from the current tree. Problems arise when people try to
do piecemeal updates from ports, or try to use pkg_add after bringing
the system up to date.