Recommendation on GPS time source for FreeBSD

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Sun Jan 31 23:50:24 UTC 2010

Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Per olof Ljungmark <peo at intersonic.se> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a recommendation on a good GPS receiver/board for use
>> with NTP/FreeBSD to create a stratum 1 public time server?
>
> Anything with a PPS output.  The Garmin GPS 18 LVC is probably the
> cheapest option.
>
>> Preferably something above the Garmin "puck" level but not ridiculously
>> expensive either...
>
> One of the u-blox evaluation kits (e.g. EVK-5T).
> http://www.u-blox.com/

There are many more factors involved than just getting a decent NMEA and
PPS signal. We are in a building with obscured view of the sky (antenna
must be on roof or at least up the wall), the server room is in the
basement (long cable runs).

Perhaps a Motorola ONCORE off e-bay + a proper antenna could be a way of
getting started, I do realise that professional timekeeping equipment is
expensive, just as any other high quality product made in small quantities.

Thanks,